Skip to main content

Whitby

Not long back from a week at Whitby. Not for birding, I didn't even bother packing the bins.

No interesting birds of prey were visible on the drive up although a fallow doe and her fawn crossed the road in front of me while driving across Ashridge Common. Not a common site at 9:30 in the morning but the deer are spooked by dog walkers often enough to require special care on that road at any time of day.

Whitby itself is still a reasonably active fishing port although with the decine of North Sea stocks there seem to be fewer trawlers there every time I visit. Naturally the town itself is full of herring gulls. I took to wearing ear plugs at night as they provide a VERY loud dawn chorus at 5am. I rather regretted not having the camera on me at one point as I saw a juvenile pecking at the red spot on its parent's beak to prompt it to regurgitate. Its a pretty disgusting sight as a sack of grey goo is dropped in front of the young one.
Turnstones can be seen poking in the harbour mud which seems unatural to me as I am used to seeing them turning the cockleshells at Leigh. Out on the rocks at low tide there was a very noisy collection of oystercatchers which were only drowned out when something disturbed the kittiwakes on the cliff under the coastguard station.

Rennovation work on the East Pier seems to have displaced some of the fulmers and they were no longer obvious along the cliff edge above the beach although a decent number were roosting on the unconnected end of the East Pier.

I was told of an osprey on a reservoir nearby but with a long drive home I had to resist the temptation to start with a detour to the north.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where are the finches?

 The garden has been disturbingly quiet this month when traditionally the feeders will be continously active. I am seeing a handful of blue and great tits on the feeders but no finches and only the occasional long tailed tit. Normally I woukld expect goldfinches and a few bullfinches on the feeders and chaffinches and redpolls on the ground at this time of year. It has been a strange winter, very mild apart from one cold snap so I hope that they are simply don't need to come into the gardens. On a better note I saw a pair of sparrows in the front hedge this morning so, hopefully, they might be spreading from their stronghold in privet hedges at the other end of the village. Away from home a family trip to Yorkshire netted three pairs of goosander on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal between Shipley and Saltaire. I think this is the first time that I have been close enough to get a good naked eye view. I have been neglecting this blog, probably because most web browsing is now done on t

Sparrows

 I was quite excited this morning when I disturbed two house sparrows on the fat feeder in the front garden. Luckily they did return later. I didn't get a chance to look out of the window but I also heard a great spotted woodpecker call in the front garden. In the back garden we had our first nuthatch sighting of the year which makes three garden firsts for 2022. The redpolls didn't linger this year and I haven't seen the coal tits for a while but we have had the usual regular selection including blackbird, robin, blue tit, great tit, long tailed tit, chaffinch, goldfinch and bullfinch. Out and about sightings have included red legged partridge alongside the A418 near Tiddington, skylark on the fields behind the house and a trip to the Forest of Dean with a far too brief glimpse of a dipper but consolation from a pair of kingfishers along the Cannop Brook.

Not So Quiet

 During September and October the garden normally seems to be devoid of birds. For the last few days there has been a flock of tits on the feeder. At least 5 blues at a time plus two or three long tailed as well as the occasional great and coal. This only takes place later in the afternoon, usually at around 5.