Skip to main content

Lake and Sea Shore

On Sunday I stopped off at Fishers Green in the Lea Valley Park. From a birding point of view it wasn't particularly fruitful. The footbridge over the Lea was closed so I couldn't get to the hide facing the reed bed on Forty Acres Lake. Following the Flood Relief Channel up to Holyfield Lake gave a nice view of a flock of lapwing in the air. When I used to visit the park regularly this lake was usually good for a sight of a goosander in the winter but my necessarily brief visits in recent years haven't resulted in a sighting. The Grebe Hide gave me a nice view of some common pochard, something that was curiously absent on my last visit to the Colne Valley. Many years ago I saw a smew from this hide and I always go there full of hope in the winter and am always disappointed.
Holyfield Lake
 The real highlight was a nice view of a goldcrest in the bushes adjacent to the Flood Relief Channel. At first I assumed that it was a wren but realised my mistake when I could see that the tail went out straight behind and some careful manoeuvring let me see the gold flash on the head.

Yesterday I took advantage of the good weather to take a trip to Leigh on Sea. I arrived just as the tide was at its peak and parked behind the station. They have a nice system for deterring commuters from the visitor parking by charging until 10AM on weekdays but making parking free for the rest of the day. Stepping up onto the sea wall the marsh between the car park and Two Tree Island seemed empty at first sight but after watching for a minute I could pick out brent geese gliding between the patches of vegetation. Once my mind had edited out the urban noises from behind me I could start picking out the various calls. The geese chattering to each other and a curlew. I got the bins focused on a tiny island where the call came from and was rewarded with a long billed head sticking up from the grass.

At one end of the cockle sheds there was a mass of turnstone gathered on one of the small quays.
Turnstone at High Tide
After a quick snack of cockles at Osbornes I watched as the tide started to turn and the geese responded by moving out of the creek onto the flats, waiting for the water level to drop beneath them. At Bell Wharf there was an flock of gulls which seemed to see something edible in the water as they kept diving down to snatch things that I couldn't see. Then I thought that I saw a black dog swimming a fair way off the beach. After a minute or two it didn't seem quite right and the use of the bins revealed a seal. He dived several times and posed nicely, showing off his whiskers in between. I have been closer to seals in the wild but not when carrying binoculars so this was probably the best view that I have had in my life. He seemed quite unphased by being so close to a working quay.

Walking back the mud was becoming exposed and the usual suspects started to appear including sanderling, redshank, grey plover and knot. I didn't make out any dunlin which is unusual but that was probably more due to the sight lines from where I was standing rather than absence.

I decided to walk up to the Two Tree Island bridge and back. I heard a clear call from a curlew and had a nice view of one in flight. To finish off the day there is a lagoon by the bridge which had a party of teal swimming in it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where are the finches?

 The garden has been disturbingly quiet this month when traditionally the feeders will be continously active. I am seeing a handful of blue and great tits on the feeders but no finches and only the occasional long tailed tit. Normally I woukld expect goldfinches and a few bullfinches on the feeders and chaffinches and redpolls on the ground at this time of year. It has been a strange winter, very mild apart from one cold snap so I hope that they are simply don't need to come into the gardens. On a better note I saw a pair of sparrows in the front hedge this morning so, hopefully, they might be spreading from their stronghold in privet hedges at the other end of the village. Away from home a family trip to Yorkshire netted three pairs of goosander on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal between Shipley and Saltaire. I think this is the first time that I have been close enough to get a good naked eye view. I have been neglecting this blog, probably because most web browsing is now done on t

Sparrows

 I was quite excited this morning when I disturbed two house sparrows on the fat feeder in the front garden. Luckily they did return later. I didn't get a chance to look out of the window but I also heard a great spotted woodpecker call in the front garden. In the back garden we had our first nuthatch sighting of the year which makes three garden firsts for 2022. The redpolls didn't linger this year and I haven't seen the coal tits for a while but we have had the usual regular selection including blackbird, robin, blue tit, great tit, long tailed tit, chaffinch, goldfinch and bullfinch. Out and about sightings have included red legged partridge alongside the A418 near Tiddington, skylark on the fields behind the house and a trip to the Forest of Dean with a far too brief glimpse of a dipper but consolation from a pair of kingfishers along the Cannop Brook.

Not So Quiet

 During September and October the garden normally seems to be devoid of birds. For the last few days there has been a flock of tits on the feeder. At least 5 blues at a time plus two or three long tailed as well as the occasional great and coal. This only takes place later in the afternoon, usually at around 5.