Skip to main content

Industrial Archaeology, Wild Boar and More

I took a trip to the Forest of Dean yesterday. I didn't do any research on where would be best but simply used my own judgement from the map.

Within 15 minutes of home I had my first interesting sighting when a hare ran out into the road. She had clearly been to the pheasant school of road safety as she stopped and then turned round and went back the way that she had come. It was my first hare for quite a few years and the first in Bucks.

I parked at Cannop Ponds, at first it just looked like the typical collection of mallard, tufty and coot but then I spotted some mandarin ducks. I hadn't been aware of the colony in the area until looking it up afterwards. As well as on the lake I explored the marshy ground below the dam and spotted another pair.

Walking south along the old railway it did rather feel as if I had wandered into Center Parcs as it all seemed so manacured. I only had a couple of hints that I was on a railway track at all.

This solitary fencepost hinted at something rather more industrial than the usual forest fencing while when I reached the dam at the bottom of the lower lake I came across a loading dock.

 
A sign named this as Cannop Wharf and I discovered afterwards that it was used unitl the end of WW2 for transferring coal from the Bicslade Tramroad to railway wagons. Walking across the dam, following as I later discovered, the course of the tramroad I was lucky to see both grey and pied wagtails as well as a cormorant and greylag geese on the lake. 

Climbing up a steep side valley (Bixslade) I discovered the first solid evidence of the tramroad.
I might have planned a different walk if I had researched this but I had to return to the car which wasn't consistent with climbing for a mile or more up a steep, dead end, valley so I took a forestry road that would take me back in a loop. That was the plan anyway, I hadn't walked far when I saw something large and black in the long grass ahead. It didn't take long to realise that it was a wild boar. With no signal for my phone and nobody else around now that I was out of the tourist area I decided that it would be prudent to follow the Forestry Commission advice on boar encounters and to turn round and go back the way I came.

Back at the upper pond I added a dabchick to the list before driving to Parkend for a much needed cup of tea. The second walk was from New Fancy Colliery to Parkend and back. The stream running between the two is very marshy in places and I saw several more mandarin duck although nothing else of birding interest.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where are the finches?

 The garden has been disturbingly quiet this month when traditionally the feeders will be continously active. I am seeing a handful of blue and great tits on the feeders but no finches and only the occasional long tailed tit. Normally I woukld expect goldfinches and a few bullfinches on the feeders and chaffinches and redpolls on the ground at this time of year. It has been a strange winter, very mild apart from one cold snap so I hope that they are simply don't need to come into the gardens. On a better note I saw a pair of sparrows in the front hedge this morning so, hopefully, they might be spreading from their stronghold in privet hedges at the other end of the village. Away from home a family trip to Yorkshire netted three pairs of goosander on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal between Shipley and Saltaire. I think this is the first time that I have been close enough to get a good naked eye view. I have been neglecting this blog, probably because most web browsing is now done on t

Sparrows

 I was quite excited this morning when I disturbed two house sparrows on the fat feeder in the front garden. Luckily they did return later. I didn't get a chance to look out of the window but I also heard a great spotted woodpecker call in the front garden. In the back garden we had our first nuthatch sighting of the year which makes three garden firsts for 2022. The redpolls didn't linger this year and I haven't seen the coal tits for a while but we have had the usual regular selection including blackbird, robin, blue tit, great tit, long tailed tit, chaffinch, goldfinch and bullfinch. Out and about sightings have included red legged partridge alongside the A418 near Tiddington, skylark on the fields behind the house and a trip to the Forest of Dean with a far too brief glimpse of a dipper but consolation from a pair of kingfishers along the Cannop Brook.

Not So Quiet

 During September and October the garden normally seems to be devoid of birds. For the last few days there has been a flock of tits on the feeder. At least 5 blues at a time plus two or three long tailed as well as the occasional great and coal. This only takes place later in the afternoon, usually at around 5.