Skip to main content

May

There are far fewer birds visible at this time of year although the level of the feeders still goes down. I topped up the nyjer seed feeder today and a goldfinch appeared within minutes. Curious thing, I have never, ever, seen a goldfinch around here except on my feeders, I have no idea where they came from or where they go.

Although the field and garden birds are becomming invisible among the greenary there seems to be a good colony of house martins at Latimer, I wish I could say the same for this village.

A couple of weeks ago I had to take a trip to the Wye Valley (what a hardship!). On the journey there was the usual split of red kites east of Oxford and buzzards to the west. The buzzards seem well established in the Cotswolds now. There was a good colony of swifts audible as well as visible at Burford and swifts or house martins visible around other villages.


The RSPB Nags Head reserve near Parkend in the Forest of Dean is an excellent starting point for walking. Not much was visible in the way of birds although it is a good spot for pied flycatchers. I had a nice view of a small deer from one of the hides although I wouldn't want to commit myself on whether it was a fallow fawn or a roe. Both can be found in the forest.

As always seems to happen when I am walking in the Forest of Dean I heard a buzzard crying overhead although I could only get glimpses through the trees. What was startling was the large number of dor beetles to be found on the paths.

In the reserve the woodland flowers were also in evidence although once outside the forest was generally darker and less interesting.

The following day saw a trip to the Gwent Levels reserve just outside Newport. This was created to compensate for the loss of habitat from the Cardiff Bay barage. In turn it is now threatened by the proposals for a barage across the Bristol Channel close to Flat Holm and Steep Holm.

The reed beds are superb and were full of warblers although I am not sure if they were reed or sedge warblers as they flitted through the reeds. The nests were very attractive to cuckoos and we saw four during the day which is more than either of us had seen in our lives before. It is a good reserve for egrets and we saw several both in flight and resting. All in all another recommended location.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not as Quiet as I Thought

 The garden has seemed very quiet with hardly any birds seen but I hadn't been explicitly looking. I have just started putting a little food out in the front and in 24 hours have seen Robin, Great and Blue Tits and Magpies landing in my tiny front garden. Yesterday I heard a song that was unusual to me which the Merlin app identified as a Blackcap. Unfortunately for me the bird was ensconsed in the middle of my Forsythia which is still in full leaf and I couldn't get a sighting. This afternoon I saw Robins in the garden and corvids overhead. I set Merlin running while I swept fallen leaves from the front path. The app identified Robin, Rook, Wren, Jackdaw, Greenfinch and Blackbird. I also heard Parakeets but not while the app was running. 

A Little More Normal

 After a couple of days of frost the garden looks more like a typical winter's day with birds visiting throughout the day. Blue tits are the main visitor plus one or two marsh (or possibly willow) tits and the occasional great tit. A flock of long tailed tits paid a fairly brief visit. Robins in the back garden have paired, seemingly a little later than the ones in the front.  Due to ill health the ivy on my back fence hasn't been trimmed and has developed a good crop of berries. The only bird that I have seen showing interest has been a wood pigeon which spent some time yesterday feasting on them. In the front I put out a fat block yesterday afternoon which, so far, has attracted a grey squirrel. The pair of robins and the occasional blackbird are active on the hanging table.

Forest of Dean

I had a day in the Forest yesterday, walking and then a ride on the preserved railway. The trouble with woodland is that you don't get the rapid views of multiple species that you get in wetlands. However, after parking at the Nags Head reserve I walked down to the Lower Hide. The ponds were pretty well down to muddy pools and I was treated to the unusual site of what must have been a family of nuthatches bathing. I had lost the sense of scale through the bins and I wasn't sure what I was looking at until a robin hopped into view to give me a relative size. The real treat was a nuthatch working its way up an oak tree. I then walked through the forest to Bix Slade and down the line of the old tramway to the wharf on the old railway by Cannop Ponds. No manarin ducks this time but I did see tufties, moorhen, and both pied and grey wagtails. I followed the railway back to the road, crossed back over the Cannop Brook and planned to follow a forestry track back to the reserve. Howe...