Skip to main content

Nothing Much

As far as garden birds are concerned this is the dead time. I have put feeders out in previous years in September and October only to have the food go mouldy. It is a good opportunity to get out the disinfectant and clean the feeders.

I have seen nothing in the garden recently, not even a robin. As I was at home I put some food on the ground tray to see if I could attract anything, by nightfall today it was untouched. All I am aware of is wood pigeons, either perched visibly nearby or cooing in the trees.

Driving to and from the station I see a few magpies and crows or rooks in the fields. Still no large birds of prey around, hopefully they will return during the winter.

The roadside verges have been mowed in Little Chalfont and at the junction of Stony Lane and Amersham road I have regularly seen moorhens for the past week or so pecking in the short grass. It came as a surprise at first as, until the mowing, I had never been aware that there was a pond between the road and the field.

For all the beauty of this area the one thing that I will miss as autumn closes in is the opportunity to pop down to the coast in 40 minutes or so and hear the brent geese. The gentle chatter as they sit on the water is one of the evocative sounds of autumn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not as Quiet as I Thought

 The garden has seemed very quiet with hardly any birds seen but I hadn't been explicitly looking. I have just started putting a little food out in the front and in 24 hours have seen Robin, Great and Blue Tits and Magpies landing in my tiny front garden. Yesterday I heard a song that was unusual to me which the Merlin app identified as a Blackcap. Unfortunately for me the bird was ensconsed in the middle of my Forsythia which is still in full leaf and I couldn't get a sighting. This afternoon I saw Robins in the garden and corvids overhead. I set Merlin running while I swept fallen leaves from the front path. The app identified Robin, Rook, Wren, Jackdaw, Greenfinch and Blackbird. I also heard Parakeets but not while the app was running. 

A Little More Normal

 After a couple of days of frost the garden looks more like a typical winter's day with birds visiting throughout the day. Blue tits are the main visitor plus one or two marsh (or possibly willow) tits and the occasional great tit. A flock of long tailed tits paid a fairly brief visit. Robins in the back garden have paired, seemingly a little later than the ones in the front.  Due to ill health the ivy on my back fence hasn't been trimmed and has developed a good crop of berries. The only bird that I have seen showing interest has been a wood pigeon which spent some time yesterday feasting on them. In the front I put out a fat block yesterday afternoon which, so far, has attracted a grey squirrel. The pair of robins and the occasional blackbird are active on the hanging table.

Kites Spreading East

 I haven't been posting much due personal matters but still have my eyes open. One thing that has struck me is the eastward spread of birds of prey. I have seen buzzards over Havering-atte-Bower but the big suprise in the past month as been a red kite over the M25 near Stapleford Abbotts in Essex. The skys still look empty by Chiltern standards though. A nice little spot last week was a goldcrest during a visit to Kew Gardens.  I have downloaded the Merlin app which supposedly identifies birdsong. I have had little opportunity to try it out but a quck test in the garden showd that it correctly told me that I could hear jackdaws and a robin. I look forward to using it on the coast to see if it can distinguish the various waders for me.