Skip to main content

Flyway

Driving around the M25 on Sautrday night as the sun approached the horizon I was struck by the arial motorway at right angles to the road above the Lea valley. Hundreds of gulls were flying down the valley, presumably to roost on the reservoirs between Chingford and Walthamstow. I recalled a similar site in Slough some years ago, watching the gulls head east above the Bath Road. At least then I wasn't negotiating three lanes of traffic and could stand still and watch.

On Sunday a short car journey had me alert for anything interesting. A party of young pheasants wandered across the road near Latimer, the cock birds almost but not quite into their adult plumage and without the long tail feathers. Plenty of small birds flew across my path, too fast to identify any although one could well have been a rather late swallow. Crows and rooks were in evidence on the fields and a kestrel was hovering close to the road. They are not as common in the hills as they are along some of the main roads but I have seen one swoop on a mouse right beside my stationalry car before now. (The mouse escaped by the way).

Taking advantage of being at home on a fine Sunday I abandoned the gardening and took a walk in the fields behind the house. Surprisingly the stubble had been left and there were a few field poppies in flower along the edges. The skylarks were taking advantage of the conditions as was a yellowhammer. I had slipped a lightweight pair of bins in my pocket but wished I had carried my normal birdwatching pair which seem much easier to train on an sbj in flight.

The garden, however, is still devoid of any birds at all. I won't even think of refilling the feeders before November. In the mean time I have to reconsider what feeds to use. I am planning to switch to "no mess" mixes as over the years sunflower husks build up and provide an excellent environment for nettles. While I always keep a nettle patch in the garden the feeders are supposed to be in the main part of the lawn!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not as Quiet as I Thought

 The garden has seemed very quiet with hardly any birds seen but I hadn't been explicitly looking. I have just started putting a little food out in the front and in 24 hours have seen Robin, Great and Blue Tits and Magpies landing in my tiny front garden. Yesterday I heard a song that was unusual to me which the Merlin app identified as a Blackcap. Unfortunately for me the bird was ensconsed in the middle of my Forsythia which is still in full leaf and I couldn't get a sighting. This afternoon I saw Robins in the garden and corvids overhead. I set Merlin running while I swept fallen leaves from the front path. The app identified Robin, Rook, Wren, Jackdaw, Greenfinch and Blackbird. I also heard Parakeets but not while the app was running. 

Kites Spreading East

 I haven't been posting much due personal matters but still have my eyes open. One thing that has struck me is the eastward spread of birds of prey. I have seen buzzards over Havering-atte-Bower but the big suprise in the past month as been a red kite over the M25 near Stapleford Abbotts in Essex. The skys still look empty by Chiltern standards though. A nice little spot last week was a goldcrest during a visit to Kew Gardens.  I have downloaded the Merlin app which supposedly identifies birdsong. I have had little opportunity to try it out but a quck test in the garden showd that it correctly told me that I could hear jackdaws and a robin. I look forward to using it on the coast to see if it can distinguish the various waders for me. 

A Little More Normal

 After a couple of days of frost the garden looks more like a typical winter's day with birds visiting throughout the day. Blue tits are the main visitor plus one or two marsh (or possibly willow) tits and the occasional great tit. A flock of long tailed tits paid a fairly brief visit. Robins in the back garden have paired, seemingly a little later than the ones in the front.  Due to ill health the ivy on my back fence hasn't been trimmed and has developed a good crop of berries. The only bird that I have seen showing interest has been a wood pigeon which spent some time yesterday feasting on them. In the front I put out a fat block yesterday afternoon which, so far, has attracted a grey squirrel. The pair of robins and the occasional blackbird are active on the hanging table.