Skip to main content

Robins

The fat feeders have attracted several robins. In the back garden we have distinguished three individuals, not so sure about the front although we have had a blue tit on that feeder. Nothing has been observed going to the peanut feeder at the back.

A walk today by Bottom Lane and Trapps Lane to Waterside revealed little in the way of birds although at one point there is a fantastic view across the Chess valley with most of the housing hidden in the folk of the hill. The river itself is flowing well below the junction with Moor Road, I am not sure where all the channels go across the moor but there seemed to be a heavy flow coming from a culvert and nothing coming through the old mill leat across the road. This may come from a spring or borehole as the flow upstream from this point is negligable. There was sufficient water for a group of mallards to swim but above the moor the flow became very slight and sluggish.

It was nice to see a wren when walking up Duck Alley but there was no flow visible from the culvert that runs under the High Street. At Water Lane the river is pretty well clogged by weed, there was nothing coming down the channel from Pednormead End and the spring by the Water Meadow car park seems to be the highest source of water at the moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not as Quiet as I Thought

 The garden has seemed very quiet with hardly any birds seen but I hadn't been explicitly looking. I have just started putting a little food out in the front and in 24 hours have seen Robin, Great and Blue Tits and Magpies landing in my tiny front garden. Yesterday I heard a song that was unusual to me which the Merlin app identified as a Blackcap. Unfortunately for me the bird was ensconsed in the middle of my Forsythia which is still in full leaf and I couldn't get a sighting. This afternoon I saw Robins in the garden and corvids overhead. I set Merlin running while I swept fallen leaves from the front path. The app identified Robin, Rook, Wren, Jackdaw, Greenfinch and Blackbird. I also heard Parakeets but not while the app was running. 

A Little More Normal

 After a couple of days of frost the garden looks more like a typical winter's day with birds visiting throughout the day. Blue tits are the main visitor plus one or two marsh (or possibly willow) tits and the occasional great tit. A flock of long tailed tits paid a fairly brief visit. Robins in the back garden have paired, seemingly a little later than the ones in the front.  Due to ill health the ivy on my back fence hasn't been trimmed and has developed a good crop of berries. The only bird that I have seen showing interest has been a wood pigeon which spent some time yesterday feasting on them. In the front I put out a fat block yesterday afternoon which, so far, has attracted a grey squirrel. The pair of robins and the occasional blackbird are active on the hanging table.

Kites Spreading East

 I haven't been posting much due personal matters but still have my eyes open. One thing that has struck me is the eastward spread of birds of prey. I have seen buzzards over Havering-atte-Bower but the big suprise in the past month as been a red kite over the M25 near Stapleford Abbotts in Essex. The skys still look empty by Chiltern standards though. A nice little spot last week was a goldcrest during a visit to Kew Gardens.  I have downloaded the Merlin app which supposedly identifies birdsong. I have had little opportunity to try it out but a quck test in the garden showd that it correctly told me that I could hear jackdaws and a robin. I look forward to using it on the coast to see if it can distinguish the various waders for me.