I first hoped that the rustling sound under the eaves was due to nesting birds but the sound of movement across the loft put paid to that theory. I have known rats in the loft in other properties and this didn't sound quite right. Talking to neighbours the problem extended along the entire row of houses. A professional identified the intruder as that peculiarly Chiltern problem the edible dormouse.
I checked my loft and found grains of expanded polystyrene scattered over the insulation out of some blocks that the previous owner had left there. I put up a camera trap which wasn't triggered and I haven't heard anything since. As they hibernate for around 6 months I imagine that I will now have some quiet nights until the spring.
I haven't been posting much due personal matters but still have my eyes open. One thing that has struck me is the eastward spread of birds of prey. I have seen buzzards over Havering-atte-Bower but the big suprise in the past month as been a red kite over the M25 near Stapleford Abbotts in Essex. The skys still look empty by Chiltern standards though. A nice little spot last week was a goldcrest during a visit to Kew Gardens. I have downloaded the Merlin app which supposedly identifies birdsong. I have had little opportunity to try it out but a quck test in the garden showd that it correctly told me that I could hear jackdaws and a robin. I look forward to using it on the coast to see if it can distinguish the various waders for me.
Comments